What FAAS/MAAS means to me

Back to Article
Back to Article

What FAAS/MAAS means to me

Aliyah Jordan '19, Reporter

Learning, growing, and informing has always been the main focus of FAAS/MAAS  (Female/Male African-American Scholars). This group is comprised of academically inclined students of color whilst led by the school psychologist, Mr. Pryzbylski. The purpose is to provide a safe place for members to broach sensitive topics including, but not limited to, politics, racial discrimination, and our lives as black intellectuals in today’s society.

This group allows me to collaborate with like-minded peers of my race who can connect with me on more than one level–something not too common for me. Within our group, the idea that we are not alone in our school is communicated as we resolve issues within our school.

As my time at this school comes to an end, I realize the impact this group has had on me.

“It is a great group for underclassmen because they get to voice their opinions, learn about different opportunities, and become more self-aware about who they are without any interference,” junior Kyiana Parrom said. 

“People should join because you are surrounded by a group of people that are like you and of are your color on the same academic level. We all excel in that group and we all have great opinions,”  senior Leah Kennedy stated. “It’s nice to see that you aren’t the only one feeling some type of way and hearing that people have the same concerns as you.”

Senior Kayla Myles stated  “I like FAAS because in the community we don’t have that sense of community when it comes to being black. We can’t have these discussions in class.”

Many opportunities are either available through this club or their presence is made known of.

Parrom said, “It also provides different opportunities for college and college awareness. Not everyone has the grades or the money to go to big universities. And FAAS and MAAS definitely gives you options with HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) and the midnight golf scholarship opportunity, and the U of M hospital trip.”

Junior Sa’Vjon Tamlin agreed. “Coming into any new environment, especially a high school and being a teenage, you think your experiences only apply to you,” he said. “Having this group to talk to, we are surrounded by people with shared experiences.”  

As the seniors are beginning to depart, we realized how small these groups will be. We made up a majority of these clubs and fear this will pose negative results. It is up to the underclassmen to keep FAAS and MAAS going.