Advice to Freshmen: high school books to read

To all the books I've read before

Up until this year, I planned on never looking back on the books I’ve read throughout high school. That is, until I recognized the meanings behind the plots and characteristics of each play or novel I had to examine and analyze thoroughly. Now I plan on collecting every book I’ve read along with many other noteworthy pieces of literature and collectively creating a bookshelf for my children. I intend on educating them in these books before they have to in school so they are ahead of their class and hopefully at a higher reading and writing level, as well. But it’ll be awhile before I consider having children of my own so, as a practice run, I’ll educate some freshmen on my favorite books and why I intend to promote them in my offspring’s early life as well as why you should read them, too.

Fahrenheit 451: Featured in Mr. Henzi’s science fiction class, I did not love this book during the time of reading. Frankly, it was long and, at times, boring. The plot and meaning behind the novel, though, is what I really find to be valuable. Imagine the world without books and written knowledge: this is what this book entertains. The sense of a physical book in your hands, with your fingertips feeling the texture beneath them, will never be the same after reading this.

A Thousand Splendid Suns: Seeing things on TV in different countries can desensitise people, but it’s real and it’s a daily struggle for a lot of people. This book goes into two young Afghan girls’ lives and how oppressive their lives are made and the unexplainable acts they must do every single day to simply survive.

Breathing Underwater: Most of us know what an abusive relationship looks like and how it plays out from the victim’s perspective, but have you ever wondered about the perpetrator’s point of view? This is exactly what this book covers as you see an insight on the mindset of an abuser and what consequences eventually follow. I pride myself on trying my hardest to acknowledge every perspective so I hope my child takes this to heart and also learns about the other side of the fight.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest: It’s no surprise that mental institutions used to be a drop-off for the unwanted. This novel goes into an inside look at conditions many have to endure and it takes a look at the environment residents were surrounded by.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: At first, I hated this book honestly. But being able to examine the mind of a unique individual expanded what I thought I knew and have since helped me better understand others’ thinking processes.

Jane Eyre: Along a bit long in detail, this book has a little of every theme involved in its plot. The main character turns her abusive childhood into a productive future as she educates herself and falls in love. It’s a page-turner as you’re hit with plot twist after plot twist. I specifically want my child to read this novel because of its extensive vocabulary and descriptive nature.

Outliers: Favorite book of my high school career. I consider myself to be a very open-minded being, but I am also a strongly opinionated person and like to argue my points. I received this book in my AP English Language class and felt a disliking as soon as I read the first few chapters. I am used to having my own opinions and (usually) having a strong reasoning behind them, but this book challenged and modified a lot of my morals based on the evidence the author presented. This is a highly intelligent book that proves specific ways to become a successful being and I am determined to use these methods to formulate the perfect child. Yes, I’m serious: I am determined.