Changes to summer school

Alexys Sciatto '19, Reporter

After the district cut summer school earlier this school year, John Glenn is offering its own program to those who need it most. A total of 60 seats are open for John Glenn students.
“No summer school was not an option,” said Principal Wegher when asked about how the decision to use this new summer school plan came to be.
Juniors and seniors get first picks on June 21, as that is registration. Any and all leftover seats are up for grabs for the sophomores and freshmen on June 24.
The decision came to be that every student that would like to enroll in summer school will cost them $200 to attend for 5 weeks, from July 24 to August 1, not including the week off for the fourth of July. Students will attend Monday through Thursday. You can take as many classes you need in those weeks, starting with two classes and you can add more as you go.
Earlier this school year it was announced that the traditional summer school program would be eliminated. The reason for this change were attendance based and it cost the district too much money. The original summer school program cost more than $300,000 and fewer than 30 percent of students were successful. Counselor Kathryn Dreyer as well as principal Wegher both informed the newspaper that each school in the Wayne-Westland district were supposed to create their own summer school plan and submit it. Schools were told that they could offer a proposal for an individual summer school program that was cost effective. John Glenn’s team of administrators and counselors presented a plan accepted in mid-May.
Staff knew our students needed a summer schooling option, and this is the plan the school has for the year.
High priority students are seniors who need credits to graduate, followed by juniors who need to gain senior status by September, and freshmen who need to gain sophomore status by September.
“We are anticipating that 10-20 students will receive a high school diploma in August, avoiding being a dropout and having to get a GED,” social studies and previous summer school teacher Mr Conn said. “The remaining students will hopefully be caught up with credits.”