Living without pain

Sierra Mcintosh, Reporter

Throughout her entire life, Jo Cameron has never known what it is like to feel pain. Up until recently, it was unknown why she had this ability because being immune to pain is quite unusual in our society. However, scientists have finally figured out the cause to her apparent immunity of pain. She has a rare genetic mutation in one of her genes, which was previously unidentified. This phenomena is unique, because most individuals would not know what it’s like to not feel pain at all, so this requires us as human beings to put oneself into another’s perspective. Many would say that an event like this would be unheard of, even mythical because typically all humans feel pain at some point in their lives.

However, though this may seem like a really positive thing to be bestowed upon a individual, there’s bound to be more negatives that come with this inability to be immune to the feeling pain.

By not being able to experience pain, individuals who never experience pain will not learn the lessons that come with the touch of pain. “I feel like I need to experience physical pain because by being hurt, I’ll learn from it and won’t make the same mistake,” said junior Carolina Cortez.

Due to having Congenital Insensitivity to Pain, someone would be completely unaware if they are being harmed by something completely deadly. This, in turn would make someone with CIP much more likely to be harmed than the average person. Sophomore Madison Khemier said “I would want to feel pain, because how else would I know if something is hurting me?”

Junior Bassit Fijabi agreed “I would want to feel pain, because I would be able to know if I’m being harmed.”

Besides not being aware if they’re being harmed, there’s also the whole social aspect of having Congenital insensitivity to pain and the isolation that comes with that particular condition. “I wouldn’t want the ability to not feel pain because I would end up feeling left out from everyone else” said junior David Randell.

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, many individuals with CIP also have a complete loss of smell, which is referred to as anosmia.

However, there are also some acquired benefits that come with being immune to the feeling of pain. Jo Cameron, a confirmed patient with Congenital insensitivity to pain, told The New York Times that throughout her entire life she has never felt a single ounce of anxiety.

“I would want the ability to not feel pain because it would make me happier as a result over all” said senior Hannah Mockridge. Jo Cameron supports this idea of being immune to pain makes you a happier person, when she said “I cannot recall ever feeling depressed or scared.”

Having the immunity to pain seems like it wouldn’t have a lot of disadvantages, but the opposite itself is evident with all of the issues listed above. Sure, not having anxiety or fear is a positive thing that most people would most likely want, but at the cost of being able to not properly process pain or experiencing social isolation? Just saying, the average Joe would probably go for no immunity.