From page to picture

Sarah Lozier ‘20, Copy Editor

From Page to Picture, there have been many adaptations–Emma, Dolittle, Artemis Fowl, Stargirl, The Woman in the Window, just to name a few.

Dolittle came out Jan.17 and wasn’t met with a lot of popularity. It received  5.5 out of 10 stars. Dolitlle stars Robert Downey Jr., Antonio Banderas, and Michael Sheen.

“The movie looked interesting because it had Robert Downey Jr,” said senior Rebecca Harris. Dolittle was a book written by Hugh Lofting in 1920, focusing on a man who can talk to animals. It was first made into a movie starring Eddie Murphy and then the Dolittle movies took off from there.

To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You, hit Netflix Feb.14th. How convenient because it’s plotline is mainly romantic. It was written by Jenny Han in 2015. The second movie deals with Lara Jean, the main character, as she attempts to figure out which boy she likes better.

I asked Sophomore Alyssa Rodwell who she shipped Lara Jean with, “ In the first [movie], Peter. [In the second] I think Lara Jean belongs with John Ambrose more.”  Viewers rated it 6.1 out of 10 stars.

Next out in theaters, Call of the Wild. This movie had very little PR going into it and even less of viewers, due to the CGI costar of Harrison Ford’s. Despite bad ratings, it was awarded 6.9 out of 10 stars. It has been remade a total of four times and each one is a little different. On Sun, Mar. 1, it grossed $3,931.869 in box offices. Call of the Wild by Jack London was written originally in 1903, and is a widely known book.

If you don’t like spoilers, you may not like the next one which came out Feb. 28. All the Bright Places stars Elle Fanning (who starred in Maleficent as Aurora) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu and many other roles). The movie, currently on Netflix, got a 6.5 out of 10 rating. Fans who have seen the movie think there should be a trigger warning due to the themes the movie covers.

“ Yes, I think there should be. There isn’t a huge trigger warning. Netflix does mention suicide, but it’s not as prevelant as it should be. That movie made me cry,” agreed freshman Sophia Biber.

The book, which won a goodreads choice award in 2015, was written by Jennifer Niven. It’s been compared to The Fault in Our Stars and Eleanor and Park crossover by many fans.  The book and movie sure do leave many gaping and wordless people.

“I may have lost my heart, but not my self-control,” reads Emma by Jane Austen. Jane Austen wrote Emma 1815 with classic humor and twists. In the movie, Emma tries to play matchmaker with her friends’ lives. The movie will come out March 6, starring Anya Taylor- Joy (who played Casey in Split and Glass). Rotten tomatoes scored 87 percent. Critics review it as hilarious and “twisty”.

Stargirl has been rumored for  a while now. Grace VanderWaal, who plays Stargirl, is perfect for the role. Her co stars include Karan Brar (Ravi in Jessie), Giancarlo Esposito (who recently starred as Jorge in The Maze Runner series), Shelby Simmons (or Ava King in Disney’s Bunk’d), and last but not least, Graham Vercherie ( who’s played in The Good Doctor and Supergirl). Stargirl airs on Disney Plus on March 13th as a Comedy, Drama, and Romance. Critics reviewed it as 5.8 stars out of 10. The book was written by Jerry Spinelli in 2000. It’s been awarded a New York Times Bestseller, a Parents Choice Gold Award Winner, Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults Award Winner, and A Publisher’s Weekly Best Book of the Year.

One book that every kids heard of at least once is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It deals with a little girl who’s lost her parents, lives with her uncle, and finds a locked secret garden in his yard. The story has been remade countless times and hopefully director Marc Munden can show a new twist on the tale. The movie is set to premiere April 17. It displays the artistic abilities of Dixie Egerickx, Colin Firth, and Julie Waters. It’s genres are Drama, Family, and Fantasy.

Looking for some thrill in your life? You should see The Woman in the Window on May 15. Not only is the trailer enough to give you chills, but so is the cast of characters. Amy Adams takes up the lead role, followed by Anthony Mackie, and Jennifer Jason Leigh. The movie depicts Anna Fox as someone who has Agoraphobia, fear of leaving the house, and a person who constantly spies on her neighbors. But one day she spots something happen. “Some things are better left unseen,” reads the tagline. Published in 2017 by A.J. Finn. It’s under 400 pages but still readers can’t seem to put it down. It’s a fast paced novel.

And lastly, Artemis Fowl by Disney. This movie has gone through  years of the movie process until Disney dragged it out and claimed it as their own. But still the movie faces backlash and has been pushed back from its original air date in September. Eoin Colfer originally wrote the book in 2001. The story presents a 12 year old boy who kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short, for answers. After delay, the movie will now come out on May 29th. It has a large list of actors including Colin Farrell as Artemis Fowl 1 , Josh Gad ( voice of Olaf), Judi Dench, Lara McDonnell, and Ferdia Shaw ad Artemis Fowl 2.

Sophomore Joe Molinaro has read all of the books. “It was pretty good,” he says, “The guy (Artemis Fowl) was a genius. Is there more to say than that? He thought outside the box the whole time.”

The listed above are not the only ones. The One and Only Ivan, The Witches, and Death on the Nile are also coming out, dates to be decided.

As book to movie adaptations have shown us over and over again, that usually the book is better. Does that stand true with these book to movie adaptations?