Is a trip to the DIA really worth it?

Cristina Ray '21, Business Manager

A museum with artwork that can be worth as much as $60 million and multiple security employees and cameras in each room. I wonder, is it truly a mesmerizing experience, or is it uncomfortable and crowded? I believe it has its pros and cons, but the museum was, simply put, fun.

A large group of French students visited the Detroit Institute of Arts’ Impressionist exhibit and general collection Dec 5 with Mrs. Manohar. They had a mix of opinions.

If I got too close to a painting, I’d be cautioned to step back, having one employee even warning, “If you get too close the alarms will go off.” I did not see a single sign mentioning this, but I may have not noticed it which is still a sign the museum should inform the public to the best of their ability before someone gets too close to the “Animals In Landscape” and causing chaos before their eyes.

Sophomore Jeanine Borghina was unapologetic and said, “I think it’s okay. Some of the stuff are kinda boring and.. very um, not like, good, cause’ they were just brush strokes but it’s okay because a lot of things were nice.”

Whereas, 11th grader Briannah Stickney believed, “It’s pretty cool, I like it. I really like the sculptures… I’m not a very big, um, art geek, but, yeah I really like the sculptures so far… and the 3D stuff.”

I personally think the museum’s strongest points were the pop art, portraits, and the room which holds knight gear and has a beautiful ceiling. Its lowest points were being constantly watched by the same suspicious employee and being yelled at to get away from a painting. Feeling like you are extremely untrusted, expected to touch the art when you aren’t supposed to, or fooling around because of the fact that you are a high schooler were not the best emotions.  There were a number of people but the museum was so spacious that even in a photo, it would rarely catch anyone. The museum states on Google that Thursdays tend to be “usually not too busy” throughout the day.

DIA employee Genevieve Jackson, 74, said, “It’s very busy but we have chaperones here to help control it.”

Many historical artists and figures have left their mark on the world with their perceptive, emotional, or creative art work. These valuable and irreplaceable works have been placed in the DIA for the public to view and enjoy. The Louvre Museum in Paris, France, was so “suffocating and overcrowded” earlier this year on May 27, that it had to close, leaving hordes of tourists outside. This is precisely why museums with such caution and higher numbers of people visiting towards the end of the day as well as week must do their best to make the experience pleasurable and keep it under control, especially when it is not free.

The Detroit Institute Of Arts gives Wayne County residents and those who go the extra mile the opportunity to explore various cultures and time periods. It would be a shame if its own employees or lack of personal space among visitors ruined the experience. Luckily, besides the rude looks and impatient requests to move, the DIA has many beautiful pieces to take in and if one gets the chance, it must be visited at least once.